The start of a new year often brings in time for reflection. It’s a special time that brings hope for the future. Resolutions and goals are different but my personal lists consist of a mix of the two. So, whether you are setting resolutions or goals, read these few tips that have helped me meet mine hrough the year.
- Be specific and realistic while also setting goals that are challenging. There are plenty of jokes about how resolutions are rarely met so while dreaming big it’s also important to be realistic when setting yearly goals.
- Outline a plan and set mini-goals when possible. Short term milestones help reach a big goal. Celebrate each milestone and it will keep the motivation going for the big goal.
- Write it down and keep it in plain sight. It’s not enough to just think of what goals you want to reach. It’s easier when you can constantly see the goals. I personally write my goals in my planner where I can see it daily and also have them typed in my notes app on my phone.
- Share your plan with someone. Sharing your resolution/goals with someone may assist with accountability. Mike and I read our list out loud to each other. Some of our goals are actually the same so, it’s nice to know that we are on the same page and will motivate each other through the year.
- Make it fun. Our resolutions and goals are sometimes things that are hard or that we may not want to do. When planning how to reach your goals pair it with something you enjoy. For example, for working out, pick a Netflix show or podcast that you “allow” yourself to only watch/listen to while working out. This will motivate you to show up for the next workout.
Take some time this week to think about your goals and how to plan for them. Just remember to keep them SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Timely).
I am sharing my overall list of goals for the year below! I’ve set mini-goals or ways to measure and reward milestones for each one in my planner.
- End the year with zero debt (not including my house loan).
- Pay an extra $200 (minimum) each month towards my house loan.
- Workout a minimum of 3 times per week.
- Declutter and be intentional with finances/shopping.
- Travel to at least 3 countries.
- Read 1 book a month.
- Publish more writing.
- Reduce plastic waste and repurpose recyclables when possible.
- Be more patient and understanding.
- Invest time in self-care.
- Build relationships with friends.
- Grow side hustles.
I’ll check back in at the end of 2020 to do a big review. What are some of your goals?