I had a “free” weekend and a few too many apples sitting on my counter so I decided make fried cinnamon apple rings for the first time. I looked at a few recipes and adjusted things to make my own recipe. It was super easy to make and so DELICIOUS! This treat received the seal of approval from Mike and the rest of my family.
What You’ll Need:
- 6 large red apples (I literally don’t know what type of apples I had/used other than they were red)
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large egg, beaten
- 2 cup milk (I used Costco’s vanilla almond milk)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
To Make the Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
Breaking down the steps below:
- Cut the apples into round slices and remove the core. You can use a small cookie cutter to remove the core. I used a bottle cap and traced around it with a knife. #resourceful
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs and milk
- Pour in the egg/milk batter into the powder mix. And mix well. Set batter aside.
- Make the cinnamon sugar topping by mixing the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl or plate.
- Pour vegetable oil into a pot and bring to a slight boil (this kind of scared me but as long as you have enough oil in the pot the oil won’t attack you)
- Fully dip the apple ring slices into the batter and insert it into the pot using a cooking tong utensil. I was able to fry 4 to 5 apple rings at a time. Monitor how they fry and make sure to flip them.
- Once the apple rings are fried, remove them and let them cool on a plate while you put in the next batch into the pot.
- Put the fried apple ring into the bowl or plate containing the cinnamon sugar topping and make sure to coat it thoroughly.
Repeat steps 7-9 until done with the apples.
Literally so easily and so delicious!!! If you try this recipe, please let me know how it turned out for you and how you liked it!